Founded in 1996, Global Solar© Energy Inc. (GSE) delivers lightweight and portable photovoltaic (PV) modules for integration in commercial, residential, off-grid and mobile applications. Currently, the company operates a Tucson, Arizona facility with a production capacity of 50 megawatts per year.
GSE is the first manufacturer in full-scale production of light weight and highly efficient PV cells and modules. By depositing CIGS on flexible stainless-steel substrate via a roll-to-roll process, the company decreases cost by streamlining production, increasing throughput, and improving material utilization. GSE’s unique products are opening up new and alternative markets where solar hasn’t been a viable option in the past, helping to drive the solar market into the next level of innovation, adoption and affordability.
- GSE founded by UniSource and ITN Energy Systems
- Research and development focusing on particularly lightweight, compact solar solutions
- GSE introduces portable charger, launching the first commercial product based on flexible, CIGS cells.
- Ongoing development of machinery at the U.S. production site in Tucson, Arizona
- GSE develops new products for global, commercial trade (incl. SUNLINQ and Brunton product lines)
2007 - 2008
- Production site in Tucson, Arizona extended from 24,800 ft2 to 100,000 ft2. Production capacity increased from 4.2MW to 40MW
- GSED production site established in Berlin, Germany with a capacity of 35MW
- GSE launches 2nd generation thin-film CIGS solar cells for use in standard glass modules
- 750 kilowatt CIGS solar farm constructed on the U.S. company premises in Tucson, Arizona
- GSE becomes supplier for DOW™ POWERHOUSE™ solar shingles
- GSE’s PowerFLEXTM product family for roof-integrated solar installations receives IEC 61730, IEC 61646 and UL 1703 certifications
- GSE is acquired by Hanergy Thin Film Group
- GSE establishes pilot line for revolutionary new Integrated Cell Interconnect technology (ICI)
- GSE provides PowerFLEXTM modules for a number of key commercial and industrial customers, including a 350 kW project in Florida to help achieve LEED status.
- GSE installs automated lines for Integrated Cell Interconnect technology, leading to largest continuous CIGS module structure ever built and goes into production supplying innovative CIGS submodules to a variety of OEMs.